"Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware...To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory. She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon."

Grantly Dick-Read

Saturday, December 18, 2010

What are you interested in?

So, part of my goal for this blog is to be a sort of "entry-level" blog into natural birth. Once you dive into researching birth, it is amazing the complexity that you'll find. But, I don't necessarily want to dive into complex areas of pregnancy and birth...after all, I'm not a birth professional (yet) so I technically don't have all of the scientific knowledge, etc. I mostly want to educate women on the choices they have. We have a choice in everything we do...everything!

Doctors and midwives have so much knowledge, thankfully, but ultimately, our care rests in our hands. It is so important to be educated and to work with your care provider so that you attain the best care possible. Many care providers are very busy and unfortunately, that may mean that you are not always in their best interest. That doesn't mean they don't care about you, or that you aren't important to them, but it may mean that often times, things are done simply as a routine. This is where choices come in. Research things and educate yourself so that you know when you have a choice about something and when you don't. For example, you might discuss IV placement (if birthing in a hospital) with your doctor or midwife. IV's are not medically necessary for birth, but they are routine. If you do not wish to have an IV, you do not have to have one (based on the discussion with your doctor). Obviously, if you are planning to have an epidural or other pain medication, you will need that IV. If you are desiring a natural, intervention free birth, you don't need that IV. Many doctors say you need at least a Hep Lock, in case of an emergency situation, but to that I say: if there is an emergency situation, I think you could put an IV in my arm fast enough that everything would be just fine (after all, if an EMT can place an IV in someone injured in a car wreck in the dark, one will most likely be able to be placed in me in a brightly lit room). That is one area where you do have a choice. Again, you research it, you weigh the pros and cons, and then you make a choice. If you feel more comfortable having an IV in your arm, by all means, have that IV. If you feel it would interfere with your ability to cope with the intensity of a natural birth, then decline the IV placement. Doctors and midwives vary on this practice. My second OB (before I switched to a home birth midwife) told me that I did not have to have an IV, but that she would prefer that I have a Hep Lock. When I told her I'd rather not have either, she was supportive of that. She is a great doctor who is understanding of how natural birth differs from medicalized births, so for me, she was a great choice as a care provider. The most important thing to remember is that you do have a choice in care providers, so if you are not happy with the way your doctor or midwife handles things or if you do not agree with the way they view birth, then you are free to make the choice to switch. You are the one paying them, so you are free to find someone who is a good fit for you. If you are not satisfied with their care, by all means, switch! It is your health, your birth, and you need to be with someone who will work with you, support you, and include you as part of your care. Informed consent...means you are educated, you work with your care provider to make decisions, and you make choices based on the information you have been given and learned.

So my question is, what things are you interested in learning about on this blog? What things would you like to know more about? Is there any particular aspect of pregnancy and/or birth that you would like to broaden your knowledge on?

5 comments:

  1. I would love to see a post on doula's!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know more about hypnobirth actually and the pro's and con's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know more about my actual options for opting out of things. Like how you wrote about the IV, I didn't know I could even ask about that or say I didn't want it. That kind of thing would be so great to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if this would be better for your other blog or this one, but I would love some information on natural ways to improve fertility/natural cures for infertility. Do you have any information on vitex, or other herbs, and how they can help balance hormones for those having trouble conceiving?

    Thanks! I love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mallory, I recommend this site: http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/ - it seems to have some awesome advice on how you can treat infertility naturally through nutrition and other means. I will start planning a post for my blog on this subject because I know so many women are affected by it. Thanks for the idea! And I haven't heard of vitex...what is it?

    ReplyDelete